I have considered most of our house "mostly done" in the decorating department for about the last year. Done to me means that the room is cohesive and functional enough that I can enjoy it. It also means that I still have a wish list of things I'd like to find, but it is generally good to go.
I really wanted to shake things up a little bit, though. I could do only so many little add-ons in January before I saw enough cool ideas and got worked up enough to want to do a more dramatic change. I decided that our master bedroom was the best place to work things over. At that time, it was the least complete (aka had the most wish list items) room in our house, which made it an obvious choice for an "artsy refresh" (as we call it). I also was inspired to create change based on 2 pieces of botanical art I received for Christmas. They had to go somewhere, and they are best suited to a bedroom. Plus, they are yellow and I really wanted to inject more yellow into the house. It was time to bite the bullet and change up the master.
When Mom came to visit in February, we really started the whole process by finding bedding that worked with the paintings. We put the new duvet cover on, dashed it up with some pillows, and even with that one small change, I liked the room so much better. From there, the project / decor list evolved.
Next, we tackled the dressers. John had a way-too-small, barely functioning antique dresser of mine since we moved in together. It is pretty, but it had quickly become a pain point from a practicality perspective. We decided to just go the easy, cheap route to get an immediate fix - hello, Ikea Hemnes dresser. Luckily, easy and cheap also meant this dresser matches our nightstands, bringing some cohesiveness to the room.
Instead of going for the obvious solution of another Ikea unit for my dresser, I decided I must try my hand a redoing a piece. The internet makes this look easy and the dresser is still in good condition (plus, it's solid wood). I thought black would make it blend with the other pieces and make it look a little more our style. Luckily, we had Barb in town to help us with this refresh and actually pull the trigger to make it happen.
The headboard was next in our process. There is a separate post coming next on this headboard, because it's very meaningful to us. I will say this here - neither John nor I have had a headboard in almost 10 years. There is nothing to finish off a room like one.
Last but not least, we added the finishing touches. Blinds to block more light from the street, fresh new curtains and a few accessories to bring the natural + yellow theme together.
Originally, I thought this refresh would require painting the walls - one reason I was hesitant to do it. The blue (Benjamin Moore) is relatively new (painted in January 2012), and I still like it despite wanting something different. However, once we got the bedding and art in, I realized it worked with the blue pretty well. The walls nearly feel like a neutral.
I'm sure we will continue to evolve this space...but we've made such progress. I'm so glad I took the plunge on shaking the master up, while at the same time recognizing it had some good elements to work off of. It's a much happier and stylish place in our home now.